Last Updated on March 23, 2023
When it comes to choosing a face mask for my oily skin, homemade recipes are my favourite. I can easily customize them to my liking and even experiment based on moods.
I often get tired of applying the same face mask over and over again. But with a homemade face mask, I can whip up a new recipe every time and play around with different ingredients beneficial for oily and acne-prone skin.
How To Make A Homemade Face Mask For Oily Skin
I often get DMs to share DIY face mask recipes for oily skin with homemade ingredients. But here’s the thing- you don’t need a recipe to create one.
All you need to do is throw in some herbs and clay together and you have a face mask. It that’s easy. If you have oily skin or even acne, here are some ingredients you can use to create your own face mask recipe.
- Clay(kaolin, bentonite, Multani mitti etc.)
- Neem powder
- Activated charcoal
- Gram flour
- Orange peel powder
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Green Tea
Just play around with ingredients to see what works for your skin. Most of these may already be present in your kitchen. The rest you can easily buy online from brands offering DIY ingredients.
In case you are still unsure about what proportions to use and how to pair ingredients together here are some simple homemade face mask recipes for oily skin you try out.
3 Homemade Face Mask Recipes For Oily Skin
Recipe #1: Neem and Tumeric
This is an easy homemade facemask recipe for anyone with oily skin who is also struggling with pimples and breakouts. Both neem and turmeric help fight acne while fuller’s earth helps reduce oiliness and mildly exfoliate the skin.
To make this DIY neem and turmeric face mask, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tsp fuller earth
- ½ tsp neem powder
- Pinch of turmeric
- Measure all the ingredients in a clean bowl.
- Add some rose hydrosol or just plain water and mix it thoroughly.
- Apply this face mask evenly all over your face and neck either using your fingers or a brush.
- Leave on the mask for 10-15 minutes until it dries off.
- Rinse with water and follow up with a toner and moisturizer as usual.
P.s If you don’t have neem powder, you can use 4-5 drops of neem oil or even moringa powder instead.
Recipe #2: Gentle Moringa Face Mask
This particular homemade face mask recipe is great for people with oily yet sensitive skin. Oats are well known for soothing and hydrating itchy, irritated skin.
Moringa powder is a miracle herb that has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agents along with powerful antioxidants that will help prevent acne from occurring.
To help control oiliness, you add kaolin clay which is milder than other clays like bentonite or Multani mitti and does not dry out the skin.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 tsp rolled or grounded oats (buy here)
- 1 tsp moringa powder
- 1/2 tsp kaolin clay
- Mix all these ingredients in a bowl and add enough water to form a smooth paste. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes to allow the oats to turn a bit mushy.
- Apply this mask on your face and neck and leave it on for 5-7 minutes.
- Once it is semi-dry, splash some water and start massaging the mask gently in a circular motion into the skin for mild exfoliation.
- After massaging for 30-45 seconds, rinse it off with water and pat dry your face.
Your skin will feel supple and hydrated to touch since the oats also help cleanse your skin. You can use this recipe as often as you like.
Recipe #3: Ubtan Face Mask
Ubtan is a traditional face mask used by Indian women since ancient times. Made with kitchen ingredients and herbs, everyone has their own recipe passed down by older generations.
Here is a simple ubtan recipe I use sometimes for brightening and exfoliating my oily skin.
- 1 tsp gram flour
- ½ tsp Multani mitti
- Pinch of turmeric
- ½ tsp orange peel powder(optional)
- Mix all the ingredients in the bowl and add enough curd to form a smooth paste.
- Massage this paste on your face and neck for a minute and then leave it on 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with water thoroughly and follow up with a light moisturizer or just some aloe gel.
The lactic acid from along with turmeric help brighten the skin and reduce breakouts while Multani mitti helps control oil secretion.
There are many more homemade face mask recipes you can try at home for your skin to help control oiliness and reduce the chances of breakouts.
Do you like homemade face masks for your oily skin too? Or do you prefer store-bought options? Do comment below and let me know.
* This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase using the link, I will earn a small amount (at no extra cost to you!) The amount helps me maintain website costs and bring more and better content to you.