Last Updated on September 4, 2020
There are loads of charcoal peel off mask videos circulating on Instagram which are oddly satisfying to watch. Don’t you agree? But what I always wonder is, why would someone knowingly hurt their face like that! DIY charcoal mask is much safer right?
So if you want to benefit from the goodness of activated charcoal for your skin, the best way is to use a wash-off DIY charcoal clay mask. You can always buy ready-made ones from beauty brands(here’s a list). But I love homemade face masks and making this one at your home is super easy.
DIY Charcoal Face Mask Recipe
This DIY mask is made up of just 3 simple ingredients you can readily find in the market. You can make a fresh batch every time or mix the dry ingredients and store them for future use.
Also, this homemade charcoal mask can be used for face as well as body. It is perfect for an armpit detox when you are switching to natural deodorants.
1. 1/8 tsp Activated Charcoal powder
2. 1 tsp Bentonite or any other clay
3. 1-2 tsp Rose Water/ Plain water
4. 1 drop of Tea tree oil (optional)
Activated Charcoal helps draw toxins and other impurities from the skin’s surface. It is beneficial to reduce body odour and acne. Also
Bentonite Clay produces an electrical charge when wet, drawing toxins and heavy metals from the skin’s surface. The combination of activated charcoal and bentonite is great for detoxifying. But if you don’t have bentonite clay at hand, you may use other clays like Kaolin or Fuller’s Earth(Multani mitti). Clays help control excess oil production, tighten and brighten the skin with regular use
Rose water is anti-inflammatory, maintains skin’s pH levels and tones the skin.
Tea tree essential oil has antibacterial properties which can help prevent and control acne and whiteheads.
1. Mix 1 tsp clay with the rose water in a glass or wooden bowl. (Bentonite clay can absorb metals so avoid metal bowls and spoon)
2. Add 1/8 tsp activated charcoal powder to this mix and a drop of tea tree oil if you like. The texture should be easy to spread around and not too thick.
3. After cleansing, apply this charcoal mask with a clean brush on your face/neck or body for 10-15 minutes and then rinse off.
4. Apply a toner and moisturize your face afterwards.
Use this DIY Charcoal mask 1-2 times a week for best results.
This DIY Charcoal mask sucks up impurities and excess sebum to leave myskin clean and soft. Regular usage also helps prevent breakouts caused by clogged pores and bacteria.
I made this mask with Fuller’s Earth since I didn’t have bentonite clay and it worked well. Multani Mitti is a bit gentler than benftonite so it I like it better.
Armpit Detox With DIY Charcoal Mask
I used this DIY charcoal mask on my armpits too when I switched to a natural deodorant last month. It defintiely helps reduce itching and makes my skin smoother.
The mask draws out impurities and buildup
Use it daily for a week and don’t use any deodorant for the meantime (you can spray a perfume on your pulse points for smelling fresh). After a week, your underarm skin will feel softer and armpits will be less smelly.
Post this armpit
Products I used:
Zofla Pure Rose Water (best one I have tried so far!)
Fuller’s earth clay bought locally. You can buy online here.
Some Pointers While Using Charcoal Face Mask:
1. Do a patch test first if you have never used activated charcoal or any of these ingredients before.
2. Like turmeric, activated charcoal can stain surfaces. So take precautions accordingly.
3. It can sometimes stain your skin too, especially if you have large pores. In such case, wipe with a cotton pad soaked with rosewater all over the skin or use a mild exfoliant like oatmeal.
So go ahead, give this mask a try and let me know how it went for you in the comments below. I love to read
*This post contains affiliate links. If you chose to purchase using the links, I will earn a small amount at no extra cost to you. The amount helps me support website costs and brings more and better content to you.