So I will be discussing in this post the causes of back acne (or ‘bacne’), how to treat
What causes Back A
The cause of body acne or back acne is not so different from facial acne. The sebum produced by the sebaceous glands in our skin along with dead skin cells clog the pores or hair follicles. This leads to an inflammation when bacteria enters the picture leading to acne.
There are more sweat glands on your back and chest compared to the rest of the body. So this is where you get most of the body acne. To understand how to get rid of back acne, here are some causes of bacne:
1. Constant friction due to tight clothing, backpacks etc.
2. Excess sweating during physical activities or hot climate.
3. Product buildup from hair conditioner/oils, body lotions.
4. Hormonal imbalances due to stress, diet etc.
5. Wearing sweaty clothes for long periods, sleeping in unwashed bed sheets.
6. Dandruff, dirty or unwashed hair.
How to treat back acne?
1. Switch out your regular soap/ body wash for an antibacterial one. Look for ingredients like neem, tea tree, activated charcoal or salicylic acid.
2. Spot treating acne on your back can get difficult. Instead, apply a lightweight moisturizer with acne fighting ingredients like tea-tree essential oil or neem oil. You can try the Rustic Neem Basil gel or add a few drops of tea tree essential oil to your body lotion or oil and use it over your body.
3. Use a chemical exfoliant like salicylic acid or glycolic acid 1-2 times a week. Avoid physical exfoliating scrubs or loofah on active acne, it can worsen the situation.
4. Apply a clay-based pack to suck out impurities and deep cleanse. I shared a DIY recipe in my previous post apt for this problem.
How to prevent back acne?
1. Avoid staying in sweaty clothes for long. Take a shower immediately after hitting the gym. If you travel by public transport, it tends to get sweaty affair, so take a bath after returning home in the evening. Don’t use hot water, use lukewarm or tepid water.
2. After washing your hair, make sure you are cleansing your body properly. The silicones, natural oils and
3. Avoid using body lotion or hair oils with comedogenic ingredients like mineral oil, paraffin, coconut oil etc.
4. Wear breathable fabrics and avoid wearing tight clothing on a regular basis.
5. Exfoliate your body using a body scrub/exfoliator once or twice a week. You can use a homemade scrub using ground coffee powder or sugar along with olive or almond oil.
6. Avoid sugary foods, carbonated d
We often tend to focus on facial skincare only and somehow forget to take care of
If you found this post helpful, do share it with your friends and family. Also, share any doubts you have in the comments below. I will try my best to help you out.
* This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase something using the above links, I will earn a small amount(at no extra cost to you!) The amount helps me support website costs and bring more and better content for you guys.
Like reading my blog? Subscribe below to get the latest posts straight to your inbox. (I won’t spam you, promise!)