Last Updated on February 20, 2021
I am back with another reader requested post today. I posted an Instagram story last month asking people about any topics they wanted me to write about. And one of them requested I write about how to get rid of back acne.
So I will be sharing the causes of back acne (or ‘bacne’), how to treat
What Causes Back A
The cause of body acne or back acne is not so different from facial acne. The sebum produced by the sebaceous glands in our skin along with dead skin cells clog the pores or hair follicles. This leads to an inflammation when bacteria enters the picture leading to acne.
There are more sweat glands on your back and chest compared to the rest of the body. So this is where you get most of the body acne. But you may have body acne on other parts like thighs, legs and butt.
The first step to get rid of back acne is find out what is triggering them. So here are some common causes of bacne:
1. Constant friction due to tight clothing, backpacks etc.
2. Excess sweating during physical activities or hot climate.
3. Product buildup from your hair conditioner/oils, body lotions.
4. Hormonal imbalances due to stress, diet etc.
5. Wearing sweaty clothes for long periods, sleeping in unwashed bed sheets.
6. Dandruff, dirty or unwashed hair.
How to Treat Back Acne?
Step 1: Choose a Good Cleanser
Switch out your regular soap/ body wash for one with acne-fighting ingredients like neem, tea tree, activated charcoal or salicylic acid
Step 2: Pick a Anti-Bacterial Moisturizer
Now, spot treating acne on your back can get difficult. So apply a lightweight moisturizer or lotion with acne-fighting ingredients like tea-tree essential oil or neem instead like this Rustic Art Neem Gel.
You can also add a few drops of tea tree essential oil to your body lotion or oil and apply them over the area.
Step 3: Use a Chemical Exfoliant
When you have back or body acne, avoid physical exfoliating scrubs or loofah as they worsen the situation. Instead, go with Salicylic acid or glycolic acid serums/ toners 1-2 times a week to avoid clogged pores..
Step 4: Treat With Clays
If your body acne is still not healed, it is time to apply a clay-based pack to suck out impurities and do a deep cleanse. I shared a DIY recipe in my previous post apt for this problem. Use it 2-3 times a week to detoxify your skin.
How to Prevent Back Acne?
Once you have got rid of your back acne, you need to take some precautions to avoid their reoccurrence. So keep these tips in mind to enjoy, clear skin.
- Avoid staying in sweaty clothes for long. Take a shower immediately after hitting the gym. If you travel by public transport, it tends to get a sweaty affair, so take a bath after returning home in the evening.
- Don’t use hot water as it tends to irritate the skin. Instead, use lukewarm or tepid water.
- After washing your hair, make sure you are cleansing your body properly. The silicones, natural oils and butter from the conditioner can wash down and can clog the pores on the body leading to bacne or chest acne.
- Avoid using body lotion or hair oils with comedogenic ingredients like mineral oil, paraffin, coconut oil etc.
- Wear breathable fabrics and avoid wearing tight clothing on a regular basis.
- Exfoliate your body using a body scrub/exfoliator once or twice a week. You can use a homemade scrub using ground coffee powder or sugar along with olive or almond oil.
- Avoid sugary foods, carbonated drinks, etc. This can trigger hormonal imbalance and cause inflammation.
We often tend to focus on facial skincare only and somehow forget to take care of
If you found this post helpful, do share it with your friends and family. Also, share any doubts you have in the comments below. I will try my best to help you out.
* This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase something using the above links, I will earn a small amount(at no extra cost to you!) The amount helps me support website costs and bring more and better content for you guys.